Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chikan

Telephonic interview done
My Indian visa sent....Lets hope that is it!

Anyways, I would like to show you a bit of Lucknow culture.



Here are some Kuratas (Long tops/Tunics). The hand embroidery is called Chikan (chic-ken) which is originated from Lucknow.. The quality of the hand work and material used is very much of importance. From the time of the Nawabs (Lucknow Royalties) and today.


 
In New Zealand I didn't careless for such things, we could comfortably get away with wearing such materials as polyester in the summer and machine embroidery was a-ok. Also, laid back dress etiquette was a norm in my hometown.


However, the Indian weather REALLY plays a part on what to wear, pure cotton is a must! 36 C average, Fans and Air Con are you BFF. Plus,dressing etiquette especially the ladies is much more polished than what I was once used to.




These ones in particular can be worn with jeans otherwise, traditionally worn with Shalwas (fat pants/ MC Hammer pants) or Churidahs (leggings).


I hope my Fijian Indian Aunties won't argue over the colours :D

1 comment: